Waffles are my number one breakfast treat and I prefer them to pancakes, French Toasts and any other sweet way to start into the day. The basic recipe is super versatile and you can easily make a more healthy option by swapping the wheat flour with spelt flour and normal sugar with coconut sugar. Spelt flour has a stronger taste by itself, make sure you add a bit more flavor to the batter by increasing the amount of vanilla extract or adding some orange zest. For all chocolate lovers – just add 2 tbsp raw cacao powder and 1 extra tbsp sugar and you’ll have some delicious chocolate waffles. Happy baking!
- 250g wheat flour (or spelt flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 300ml soy milk
- 70ml orange juice (best freshly squeezed)
- 70ml sunflower oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix all the other ingredients, combine with the dry mixture and mix until combined.
Cook according to your waffle iron 🙂