This cake is full of flavors and has exactly the right balance between sweet and sour and thanks to the drizzle its super moist and just delicious. It’s also super easy and fast to make and I stop now because I think you don’t need more arguments to be convinced you need this cake in your life. Happy baking!
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I used white flour, use any you like)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup almond meal / ground almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk (best lukewarm and not from the fridge)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
For the drizzle
- Juice of 1 big lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar
For the icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g vegan cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/320°F and prepare a loaf tin by lining it with baking paper.
- In a big bowl mix the flour with baking soda and baking powder. Don’t mix in yet the almonds.
- Melt the coconut oil and mix with the lemon juice, almond milk and the sugar. Stir well and add the lemon zest.
- Mix both mixtures just until combined and gently add the almond meal.
- Transfer into the baking tin and bake for 50 min. The top should be slightly browned.
- Prepare the drizzle by placing the lemon juice and sugar in a small pot over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves completely. Simmer over low heat until you have a syrup like texture.
- Once you get the cake out of the oven, pierce the top with a toothpick in several places (I do that a lot) and brush over the drizzle. Have a few gos and wait until the cake absorbs all the syrup.
- Let the cake cool down completely before you mix the cream cheese and icing sugar for a frosting.