Third time lucky! I made three cakes last week. The first one was not even edible (I tried to experiment with colors, the color was great, the consistency not), the second one was edible but not pretty at all (my work mates were still very happy about it) and I almost gave up but then tried another new recipe – et voila, all good things come in three! This chocolate cake is made with sweet potatoes which may sound weird but works so well. Its so moist and delicious, best eaten fresh on the same day you bake it but still totally fine even a few days after (if it lasts that long anyway). Happy baking!
- 250g sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 100g dark vegan chocolate, chopped
- 125g vegan butter or margarine
- 150g sugar (I used coconut sugar, brown sugar works too)
- 2 chia eggs (for one chia egg mix 1 tbsp chia seeds with 3 tbsp water and set aside for 5 minutes, it will turn into a ‘jelly’ texture)
- 175g flour (I used spelt flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 100g chocolate chips
For the ganache:
- 100g dark vegan chocolate, melted
- 100g coconut milk (from a tin, only the thick bit from the top)
- Optional: berries
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Cook the sweet potato in boiling water for 15 minutes until tender. Mash until smooth and add the chocolate and stir until melted and well combined.
- Mix all other ingredients in a big bowl, stir in the sweet potato mix and stir with a wooden spoon. The texture will be a bit different to a classic cake batter, it feels a bit more dry but thats right! Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for around 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down and prepare the ganache.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan with simmering water. Combine with the thick part of coconut milk and place into the fridge for 2 hours. Or if you are not patient (as me) place into the freezer for 30 minutes until it starts to thicken. Spread over the cake and top with berries.