This is my all-time favorite cake, and everyone who tried it agrees – this is the chocolate heaven on earth! Guiness gives the cake an amazing moist character and works so well with chocolate. I promise, this cake will be finished faster than you can drink a glass of Guiness!
- 300 g flour
- 65 g cocoa powder
- 250 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- vanilla bean
- 235 ml Guinness Extra Stout
- 1 small cup Espresso
- 80 g coconut oil
- 100 g chocolate chips
- icing sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven at 160 °C.
- In a big bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the inside of a vanilla bean.
- In another bowl mix the coconut oil with the Espresso and the Guiness. If the coconut oil is not liquid enough, I place the glass in the oven for a couple of minutes. But be careful – its getting hot very fast!
- Mix together the dry and the liquid mixtures, you don’t need an electric mixer for that, works well with a wooden spoon as well. Combine with the chocolate chips and spoon into a greased pan. The batter is very thick and sticky – that is exactly what you want!
- Bake for 20 – 25 min – the middle should be soft even after baking.
- Let the cake cool down and sprinkle with some icing sugar.
Note: There are some discussions if Guiness is vegan or vegan-friendly as animal products might be used in the filter process. I was reading an article, that Guiness want to change their process this year to make it 100% vegan, until then I am sure you can find some vegan Guiness-like beers in organic shops.