This recipe is from Donna Hay’s modern classics recipe book. Donna gives traditional recipes a modern twist and shows how great easy recipes can taste. The most important bit with this cake is the syrup, it turns the cake into something truly special.
- 75 g poppyseeds
- 180 ml milk
- 200 g soft butter
- finely grated zest from one large orange
- 170 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- Inside of a vanilla pod
- 270g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 125 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
For the syrup
- 200 g sugar
- 200 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- shredded zest from one large orange
- Preheat the oven at 160 °C. Mix milk and poppyseeds in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place butter, sugar and rind in bowl of electric mixer and mix until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl, then beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add flour, orange juice, and milk poppyseed mixture and stir until just combined..
- Scrape into the pan and bake for around 40 minutes [if cake browns too quickly cover loosely with foil].When cake is ready leave in the tin.
- Meanwhile, make syrup: place all ingredients into small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.Increase heat and boil for five minutes or until thick.Using a skewer make a few holes in cake then pour over the syrup. Serve warm or cold.