Amore mio! It is winter, it is dark, it is absolutely not my favorite time of the year! So I thought it is time to make a very summery cake and I have to say – I am in love with the delicious lemon cake! The Greek Yogurt gives it such a nice texture and salted pistachios work so well with the sweetness of the cake. And now, beam me to somewhere hot please!
- 3 lemons (zest and juice)
- 200 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 125 g butter
- 175 g sugar
- 2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- Vanilla bean
- 170 g Greek Yogurt (10% fat)
For the icing
- 125 g roasted and salted pistachios
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 150g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven at 175 °C and grease a cake pan.
- Grate the lemon peel and then half the lemons and squeeze them. You will need 2 tbsp of the lemon squash for the icing, so set this aside separately. Mix the flour with baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter with sugar and the lemon peel until smooth. This can take up to 5 min! Add the eggs one after the other. Combine with the flour-mixture and add the vanilla seeds, lemon juice and yogurt. Beat until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into pan and bake for 35 min. Make the test with a toothpick, if you insert it in the middle it should come out clean but can be slighty wet. Let the cake cool down.
- For the icing, combine icing sugar with water and lemon juice and cover the cake. Sprinkle with pistachios.