Carrot Cake is definitely my all-time favorite cake! And although it is the ‘signature’ cake of my boyfriend (and probably the only one he is baking 😉 ) it was my turn this time and I tried a new vegan recipe. And it was great! So moist and delicious! I baked it in a 20x13cm baking tin and cut it into little squares like brownies but the recipe will work also for loaf tins or round cake pans.
- 200g grated carrots
- 250 spelt flour (or all purpose flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 50g pistachios, chopped
- 120g applesauce
- 225 ml soy milk
- 100 cup sugar (I used brown one)
- 100 ml coconut oil (melted)
- 250g cashews (soaked over night, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 50ml almond milk
- 50g maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbsp chopped pistachios (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease the baking pan.
- Grate the carrots and set them aside. In a big bowl mix all ingredients for cake and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold in the carrots gently. Bake for around 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake cool down.
- For the frosting combine all ingredients in a food blender and blend for 1 minute until smooth. You might have to add a bit more almond milk. Spread over the cake and store the cake in the fridge as the frosting will firm up a bit.
- Sprinkle with pistachios before serving if you like.